• Users Online: 264
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 5  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 21-26

Evaluation of adnexal masses – Correlation of clinical and radiologic features with histopathologic findings: an observational study in a tertiary care center of Eastern India


1 Department of Pathology, Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
2 Department of Pathology, Serampore Walsh Sub Divisional Hospital, Serampore, West Bengal, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Senjuti Dasgupta
Department of Pathology, Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/bbrj.bbrj_7_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Ovarian carcinoma is the seventh most common cause of carcinoma-induced deaths among women of the world. Adnexal masses often pose a diagnostic challenge to a treating physician. The aim of the present study was to find out the incidence of various categories of ovarian tumors and their correlation with clinicopathologic parameters among patients attending a tertiary care center of Eastern India. Another aim was the evaluation of diagnostic accuracy of clinical, laboratory, and radiological findings. Methods: A prospective, observational study was carried out for a period of 1 year. Female patients with adnexal masses were included in the study. Clinical, laboratory, and sonographic findings of each patient were recorded along with their histopathological reports. Results: The median age of 59 patients included in the study was 36 years. Most patients (32, 54.2%) were between 30 and 50 years of age. Thirty-six (61%) ovarian tumors were found to be benign and the rest (23, 39%) malignant. Surface epithelial tumors were the most common type (35, 59.3%), followed by germ cell tumors (11, 18.6%) and sex cord stromal tumors (9, 15.3%). A statistically significant association was noted between parity, menstrual status, laterality, size, gross appearance of tumor, and nature (benign/malignant) of the mass. Sensitivity (57%) and specificity (86%) of the clinical diagnosis were good, but diagnostic accuracy (88%) of sonographic findings was better. While serum CA125 level measurement had a diagnostic accuracy of 78%, the risk of malignancy index (RMI) 2 score, with an accuracy of 86%, has the potential to guide further management in a patient with adnexal mass. Conclusion: Increased incidence of malignancy was noted with postmenopause, nulliparity, bilaterality of tumors, and complex tumor morphology. All these risk factors were found to be statistically significant. RMI 2 score may be used routinely for diagnosis and guidance of further management of adnexal masses.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed434    
    Printed10    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded74    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal